- DISTANCE: 12 km.
- DIFFICULTY: Average. Very steep slopes only suitable for expert walkers. Risk of losing the path. A very solitary route, best not done unaccompanied. Stone falls can be caused by walkers themselves, therefore groups should not be large.
- ACCUMULATED ASCENDING LEVEL: 85 mt.
- ACCUMULATED DESCENDING LEVEL: 1950 mt.
- ESTIMATED TIME OF GOING: 3:00 hrs.
- ESTIMATED TIME COMING BACK: 3:45 hrs.
- NATURE RESERVES WITHIN THE TRAIL: Parque Natural de Las Nieves.
- RECOMMENDED TIME OF THE YEAR:Any time of year except winter. Avoid rainy days as path becomes slippery.
- BASIC RECOMMENDATIONS: Habitual precautions common to hiking in general are listed below. At the risk of sounding obvious, here are some of the most important:
- Check weather forecasts before setting off to hike.
- Don´t go alone.
- Tell someone your intended destination and expected time of arrival.
- Carry a small rucksack with warm clothing, waterproofs, food and plenty of water.
- Don´t forget such simple items as: sun hat, protective cream and sun glasses.
- Carry a mobile phone with fully-charged battery, a map and, if possible, a compass. They will probably never be used but, when required, are of vital importance.
- Wear suitable gear, especially footwear: trekking boots or similar are essential, trainers or pumps are to be avoided, habitual precautions common to hiking in general are listed below.
- REMARKS:Any time of year except winter. Avoid rainy days as path becomes slippery.The path, which should only be attempted by expert hikers in good physical form, runs through very solitary areas. The route is usually done in a downhill direction and the start point can be reached in a number of ways:
1. From the road to Roque de los Muchachos, at the foot of Pico de la Nieve, take the PR LP 3 path to the summit of the latter peak and then continue southwards along the GR 131 to Llanos de Jujama, in about 3 h 30min.
2. From El Reventón pass, junction of the GR 131 and the PR LP 1 paths, follow the former along the summit ridge as far as Llanos de Jujama, in about 2 hours.
3.The Reventón pass can be reached from the Virgen del Pino hermitage in 1h 15min, ofr else from Botazo in 2h 00min, following in both cases the PR LP 1.